AFP TN, Southeastern Chapter: Fundamentals of Fundraising Series: Module 1 - Overview of Fundraising
A big-picture look at professional fundraising, including the important role philanthropy plays in organizations and key motivations behind why people give. Also included: the primary sources of contributions; what an integrated development program looks like and which essential components aid success; the fundraising profession as a career, focusing on key qualities for success and a basic path for personal and professional development in the field; an introduction to professional standards and ethics.
Objectives: After this module, you'll be better able to:
• Explain the culture of philanthropy and the role philanthropy plays in organizations.
• Name 8-10 key reasons people give.
• Describe the primary sources of contributions.
• Describe the essential components of an integrated development program and the primary purpose of each one.
• State key qualities that every fundraiser should possess and describe a basic path for personal professional
• Describe the key principles of the Donor Bill of Rights and the AFP Code of Ethics.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER: Andrea McManus, CFRE
Andrea McManus, CFRE, is Chair of the AFP International Board and president of The Development Group, a full-service, strategic philanthropic consulting firm based in Calgary, Alberta. Andrea has over 26 years of experience in fundraising, marketing and communications. Her firm has helped build the fundraising capacity of many clients throughout Canada and the Caribbean. She is an AFP Master Teacher and was the 2007 Fundraising Professional of the Year for her Calgary Chapter.